Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
- 5 pounds plums, peeled, pitted, and quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6.75 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) plus 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 6 ounces chilled 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 tablespoons flour; toss. Arrange mixture in a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon 6.75 ounces flour (about 1 1/2 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a food processor; pulse 3 times. Add butter, rind, and cheese; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk; pulse until blended.
- 4. Drop dough by spoonfuls over plum mixture; sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake at 375° for 55 minutes or until golden.
- Calories: 293
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 169mg
- Calcium: 45mg