Photo: Jim Franco; Styling: Rebecca Donnelly
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
Bake: 35 Minutes
Cool: 10 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a 10-inch cast iron or heavy ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Tilt skillet to coat sides. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 cup brown sugar. Arrange pineapple on bottom of skillet; set aside.
- 2. Stir together flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- 3. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 cup hot water, molasses, and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar. Whisk in egg.
- 4. Add butter mixture gradually to flour mixture, stirring until well blended. Pour batter into prepared skillet.
- 5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a round platter. Scrape any sugar mixture left in skillet over cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.