Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 (4-oz.) milk chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Fudge Filling
- Peppermint-Cream Frosting
Total: 2 Hours, 25 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) round cake pans.
- 2. Pour boiling water over chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- 3. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add melted chocolate and vanilla, beating until blended. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- 4. Beat egg whites at medium speed until soft peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 40 minutes).
- 6. Meanwhile, prepare Fudge Filling; spread between cake layers. Spread frosting on top and sides of cake.