Photo: Jennifer Causey; Styling: Claire Spollen
If you'd like a smoother puree, process the bean-cauliflower mixture in a food processor before stirring in the butter and cheese.
1. Place beans in a large bowl; cover with water. Refrigerate overnight.
2. Drain beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Add 4 1/2 cups stock and 4 cups water to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or until beans are tender. Cool. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving cooking liquid. Place 1 cup beans in a bowl; mash with a fork. Return remaining beans to reserved cooking liquid; reserve mixture for Collard Greens Sauté with Chicken and White Beans and Two-Bean Soup with Tomato-Chive Crostini.
3. Place cauliflower in a food processor; process until finely chopped.
4. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add remaining 2 cups stock, mashed beans, cauliflower, milk, cornmeal, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Remove pan from heat; stir in butter and cheese.
5. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shrimp to pan; cook 2 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup tomato, wine, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Place 1 cup bean mixture in each of 4 shallow bowls. Top each serving with about 3/4 cup shrimp mixture. Top evenly with remaining 1/4 cup tomato and parsley.