- 3 pounds firm-ripe peaches
- 1 1/2 cups (12 oz.) sweet dark cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (15 oz.) refrigerated pastry for double-crust 9-inch pie, at room temperature
- 1. Peel, pit, and cut peaches into 1/2-inch-thick slices. You should have 7 to 8 cups fruit.
- 2. In a large bowl, gently mix peaches with cherries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, nutmeg, and almond extract.
- 3. Unfold 1 pastry round and ease evenly into a 9-inch pie pan. Fill pastry with fruit mixture.
- 4. Unfold remaining pastry round on a lightly floured board. Roll pastry evenly to make a 13-inch round.
- 5. Center pastry over fruit. Fold top edges of pastry over rim of bottom pastry; flute edges and slash top decoratively. Set pie on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- 6. Bake in a 375° oven until juices bubble near center, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. If pastry edges get too dark, lightly cover with foil. Filling firms as pie cools; let stand at least 2 or up to 8 hours before cutting into wedges.
- Calories: 408
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 3.2g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 67g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 285mg
- Cholesterol: 14mg