Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
Whisked eggs and Parmesan cheese are stirred into a skillet of just-cooked pasta to form a rich, creamy sauce that coats the noodles. The spinach isn't traditional but adds color and a subtly earthy flavor twist.
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (6-ounce) package bagged prewashed baby spinach
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly. Remove spinach from pan; place in a bowl.
- Add bacon to pan; cook 3 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan; set bacon aside. Add onion to drippings in pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking liquid. Immediately add pasta and the reserved cooking liquid to onion mixture in skillet. Add spinach and bacon; stir well to combine. Place skillet over low heat.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, cheese, pepper, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk. Add to pasta mixture, tossing well to coat. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 387
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 19.5g
- Carbohydrate: 52.2g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 822mg
- Calcium: 231mg