Photo: Jennifer Causey; Styling: Lindsey Lower
We call for chicken breast tenders here to keep things easy, but you can also use skinless, boneless chicken breasts (which are less expensive). Just cut each breast lengthwise into 3 strips. (Cost for 4: $8.61)
Serves 4 (serving size: 2 tenders)
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium shallow dish.
2. Combine buttermilk and egg in another shallow dish.
3. Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture.
4. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
6. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
3 Ways to Riff: • Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces for nuggets. • Use skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips, for richer flavor. • Try the breading on tilapia for homemade fish sticks.