For this simple dessert, top tangy-sweet orange slices with homemade caramel-and-cardamom syrup; finish off with a dollop of Greek yogurt flavored with honey and orange-flower water.
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 medium navel oranges (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon orange-flower water
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- 1. Combine 1/2 cup water and cardamom in a small, heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 20 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve over a small bowl; discard solids.
- 2. Combine 1 tablespoon cardamom water and sugar in pan over medium heat, and cook for 9 minutes or until sugar is melted and barely golden (do not stir). Increase heat to medium-high, and cook for 1 minute or until mixture darkens to a deep amber. Remove from heat; carefully pour remaining cardamom water down the side of the pan. Return pan to medium-high heat; stir until well blended. Remove pan from heat.
- 3. Peel oranges. Cut each orange crosswise into 6 slices. Arrange slices on a rimmed platter; pour hot syrup over oranges. Cover and chill overnight.
- 4. Combine yogurt, honey, and orange-flower water in a small bowl. Serve yogurt mixture with oranges. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
Orange-flower water infuses this simple dessert with Moroccan flair; look for it in gourmet markets or Middle Eastern grocery stores. Chilling overnight is crucial for imbuing the oranges with flavor. When adding the cardamom water to the caramel, pour down the side of the pan to prevent the caramel from sputtering too much.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Jeanne Kelley, Cooking Light
- Calories: 170
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrate: 32.3g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Sodium: 12mg
- Calcium: 73mg