The cream cheese dough needs to be elastic before dividing into portions. You can determine if it's ready by pressing one finger onto the surface of the dough. If the dough springs back to take its original shape, the dough is ready to be shaped; if it doesn't, knead a few more times. Using a special tool called a tart tamper makes shaping the dough easier.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, granulated sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt, stirring with a whisk. Combine cheese, butter, and milk in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well-blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until blended (mixture will be crumbly).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 3 or 4 times. Divide dough into 24 portions. Place 1 dough portion into each of 24 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Press dough into bottom and up sides of cups, using lightly floured fingers.
- To prepare filling, spoon about 1/2 teaspoon walnuts into each muffin cup. Combine brown sugar and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk; spoon about 2 teaspoons filling over walnuts in each muffin cup.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and filling is puffy. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack. Run a knife around outside edge of each tassie; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Calories: 78
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 12.2g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 50mg
- Calcium: 11mg