NOTES: Steamed broccoli and whole-wheat couscous complete a delicious and nutritionally balanced dinner. (Never mind butter--a drizzle of orange sauce is all the extra flavor the broccoli needs.) For dessert, try frozen yogurt with berries and honey. Prep and cook time: About 15 minutes.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 pieces (6 oz. each) boned salmon fillet
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1. In a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat, stir almonds until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour from pan.
- 2. Rinse salmon fillets and pat dry. Set the frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add salmon, skin side up, and cook until well browned on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn pieces and cook until opaque on the outside but still slightly translucent in center of thickest part (cut to test), 1 to 3 minutes, depending on thickness of fish, or until opaque but still moist-looking in center. Transfer salmon, skin side down, to plates or a serving platter; cover to keep warm.
- 3. Add orange peel, juice, and wine to pan. Boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes. Stir in thyme.
- 4. Spoon orange sauce over salmon and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Add salt to taste.
- Calories: 369
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 6.7g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 103mg
- Cholesterol: 100mg