Photo: Laurey W. Glenn; Styling: Leigh Anne Montgomery
- 1 (19 1/2-oz.) package Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 (8-oz.) package fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (15 1/2-oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) French bread loaf
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
Bake: 13 Minutes
- 1. Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Add mushrooms and bell pepper; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Stir in next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut bread in half lengthwise. Place bread, cut side up, on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 5 to 6 minutes until toasted.
- 3. Spoon sausage mixture onto toasted bread, and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 400° for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Jennie-O Sweet Lean Italian Turkey Sausage.
- Calories: 360
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 13.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 23.1g
- Carbohydrate: 37.2g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 1269mg
- Calcium: 148mg