Be the first to rate it
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Linda Hirst
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 Basic Pizza Dough or 1 uncooked prepared pizza crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup small dried figs, cut into wedges (optional)
- 1 cup lightly packed baby arugula
- 2 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. (For a crispy crust, preheat a pizza stone on the lowest rack in the oven.)
- 2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; sauté, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until soft and golden brown. Stir in vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- 3. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured baking sheet or pizza peel. Brush edges of crust with olive oil. Spread onion mixture to edges of crust; top with blue cheese, walnuts, and figs, if desired.
- 4. If desired, transfer pizza to pizza stone dusted with cornmeal or semolina flour; bake 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with arugula and prosciutto. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired.