Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Garnish: fondant snowflakes
Total: 2 Hours
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 3 (8-inch) round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper, and grease and flour paper.
- 2. Stir together milk and vanilla.
- 3. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Sift together flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- 4. Beat egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 20 to 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; discard parchment paper. Cool completely (about 40 minutes).
- 6. Spread Vanilla Buttercream Frosting between layers (about 1 cup per layer) and on top and sides of cake.