Photo: Dylan and Jeni; Styling: Scott Horne
A whiff of robust smoke flavor gives this vegetarian dish a meaty feel. We love drizzling on a little of the Salsa Tatemada for a nice juicy kick.
Serves 6 (serving size: 1 tlayuda)
1. Preheat grill to low.
2. Heat a small skillet over low heat. Add seeds to pan; toast seeds 3 minutes or until lightly brown, stirring frequently. Place in a mini food processor or spice grinder; process until a coarse paste forms.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add ground pumpkin seeds, cumin, and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in salt and pepper.
4. Combine cabbage, cilantro, and juice in a medium bowl; toss well.
5. Arrange tortillas in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place pan on grill; grill until tortillas start to crisp, about 3 minutes.
6. Divide pumpkin seed paste evenly among tortillas, spreading to an even layer. Spoon about 1/4 cup refried beans over each tortilla. Top each tortilla with about 2 1/2 tablespoons cheese. Place tortillas on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes or until cheese melts and edges of tortillas become crisp and browned.
7. Top with slaw, tomato, and avocado slices.