Photo: Jennifer Causey; Styling: Claire Spollen
You can bake these cakes up to 2 hours ahead of party time and rewarm in a 300° oven for 5 to 6 minutes.
Serves 16 (serving size: 2 crab cakes)
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Combine 3 tablespoons water, vinegar, and sugar in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until boiling. Add celery; let stand 15 minutes. Drain.
3. Drain crabmeat on several layers of paper towels. Combine half of celery, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon chives, 1 teaspoon mustard, black pepper, salt, and egg in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add crabmeat and 1/4 cup panko to mayonnaise mixture; toss gently. Chill 15 minutes.
4. Combine remaining 3/4 cup panko, 1 tablespoon chives, and oil in a bowl; toss. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon panko in bottom of each of 32 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon crab mixture over panko. Top each cup with 1/2 teaspoon panko mixture. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat broiler to high.
6. Lightly coat crab cakes with cooking spray. Broil 1 minute or until tops are crisp.
7. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, yogurt, remaining 1 teaspoon mustard, remaining half of celery, remaining 1 tablespoon chives, and hot sauce in a bowl. Top each crab cake with about 1/2 teaspoon sauce. Serve with lemon wedges.