1. Toast the spices in a dry sauté pan on the stove over medium heat, until fragrant (about 3 minutes.)
2. In large sauce pot, combine the water, sugar and wine. Bring to a simmer, stirring to ensure the sugar has dissolved.
3. Meanwhile, peel the pears. Slice the pears in half from top to bottom. Cut the lemon in half.
4. Add the pears, lemon, and spices to the liquid. Cook over low heat until the pears are tender and are easily pierced. The cooking time will vary based on the ripeness of the pears, but it should take approximately 12-15 minutes.
5. Remove the poached pears and syrup from the heat and cool down by placing the sauce pot in an ice bath.
6. Store the pears in the liquid, up to four days.
NOTE: Serve with Brown Sugar Pavlova.