Be the first to rate it
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
Dress up a typical salad by using more refined greens, adding fresh herbs, and tossing it with high-quality olive oil and vinegar. Top the salad with warm slices of cheese-topped baguette. You can substitute chopped red onions for the shallots.
- 8 (1/2-ounce) slices French bread baguette
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups gourmet salad greens
- 3 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat broiler.
- To prepare toasts, arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet. Broil 1 minute or until lightly browned. Turn bread over; sprinkle each slice with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese. Broil 1 minute or until cheese begins to melt.
- To prepare vinaigrette, combine the shallots and vinegar in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add oil, salt, mustard, and pepper; stir well with a whisk.
- To prepare salad, place salad greens and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently to combine. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad, and toss gently to coat.
- Calories: 165
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 7.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 4.8mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 465mg
- Calcium: 159mg