Capturing the simplicity found in sun-drenched Mediterranean cuisine, these braised chicken thighs melt under the influence of bright, vibrant lemon, briny olives and capers, and juicy plum tomatoes. Serve with rosemary mashed potatoes or over hot basmati rice.
- 1 small lemon
- 1 3/4 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved (12 olives)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skinned
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1. Grate rind and squeeze juice from lemon to measure 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon, respectively. Place lemon rind in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Combine lemon juice, onion, and next 3 ingredients (through tomatoes) in a 5-quart electric slow cooker.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Place half of chicken in pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place chicken in slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or until chicken is done.
- 3. Place chicken thighs on plates. Stir reserved lemon rind into sauce. Serve sauce over chicken. Garnish with rosemary and parsley, if desired.
- Flavor Tip: Piquant, sharp, and tangy are just a few words to describe capers. Use capers sparingly to infuse sauces, salads, pizzas, dressings, and pasta or vegetable dishes with flavor.
Use capers sparingly.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight, Oxmoor House
- Calories: 220
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 26.5g
- Carbohydrate: 7.2g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 387mg
- Calcium: 35mg