Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Dan Becker
- 6 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb or beef
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 kaiser or other sandwich rolls
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/4 medium English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1. In a bowl, combine feta cheese, oregano, rosemary, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and the lemon zest. Add ground meat and mix gently. Form into four 1-in.-thick patties.
- 2. In a blender, whirl olives, dill, parsley, lemon juice, sugar, and remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add 3 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. at a time, to make a smooth paste.
- 3. Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-hot (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above cooking grate only 3 to 4 seconds). Grill burgers, turning once, until browned on both sides and cooked through (cut to test), 10 to 12 minutes total.
- 4. Split rolls and toast cut sides on the grill. Brush toasted sides with remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil and spread each with about 1 tsp. of the olive spread. Top with burgers, tomato, cucumber, red onion, and romaine.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per burger.
- Calories: 790
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 43g
- Fat: 49g
- Saturated fat: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Sodium: 1198mg
- Cholesterol: 151mg