Photo: Karry Hosford
- Garlic butter:
- 2 whole garlic heads
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 1/2 pounds cubed Yukon gold or red potato
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare garlic butter, remove white papery skin from garlic heads (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap each head separately in foil. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes; cool 10 minutes.
- Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Combine garlic pulp, butter, shallots, and rosemary.
- To prepare potatoes, place potato in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and return potato to pan. Add broth and buttermilk; mash to desired consistency. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Stir in garlic butter, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Calories: 181
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 28.8g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 375mg
- Calcium: 39mg