Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Lynn Miller
- 4 baking potatoes (about 2 lb.)
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or scallions
- 1. Prick potatoes all over with a fork; microwave on high until cooked through, turning once, 12 to 15 minutes total. Let cool slightly and scoop out flesh, discarding skins. Mash with a fork. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp, turning once, about 10 minutes total. Let cool, then crumble.
- 2. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth and light golden, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and cook, whisking, until thickened, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 3. Stir in cheese, potatoes and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until cheese melts and soup is heated through. Whisk in sour cream. Check seasoning and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Divide among 6 soup bowls and sprinkle each with bacon and chives.
This recipe also appeared in the September 2010 issue.All You
- Calories: 464
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 15g
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Sodium: 638mg