The combination of buttery Yukon gold and fluffy baking potatoes offers richness and a nice contrast both in flavor and texture. If you don't have a food mill, cream the potatoes and cooking liquid with a potato masher.
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 6 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened (about 3/4 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
Total: 49 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Place potatoes, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- 3. Press potato mixture in batches through a ricer into a large bowl. Stir in reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, and cream cheese.
- 4. Spoon potato mixture into a broiler-safe 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 5. Preheat broiler.
- 6. Combine Parmigiano-Reggiano and panko; sprinkle evenly over top of potatoes. Broil 4 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with chives.
Make-ahead tip: Assemble this dish a day ahead, and bake shortly before serving.Sandra Gluck, Cooking Light
- Calories: 243
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 8.3g
- Carbohydrate: 37.9g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 361mg
- Calcium: 93mg