Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Mindi Shapiro Levine
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 2 (4- to 5-lb.) whole chickens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Stir together salt and pepper.
- 2. If applicable, remove necks and giblets from chickens, and reserve for another use. Pat chickens dry. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. salt mixture inside cavity of each chicken. Rub 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil into skin of each chicken. Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture; rub into skin. Place chickens, breast sides up, facing in opposite directions (for even browning), on a lightly greased wire rack in a lightly greased 17- x 12-inch jelly-roll pan.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 1 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in thigh registers 180°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.