Photo: Lee Harrelson; Styling: Mindi Shapiro
- 4 pounds new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint half-and-half
- Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon, green onion slices
- Layer sliced potatoes in a lightly greased 6-quart slow cooker; top with chopped onion.
- Stir together chicken broth, salt, and pepper; pour over potatoes and onion. (Broth will not completely cover potatoes and onion.) Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 5 hours or until potatoes are tender. Mash mixture with a potato masher; stir in half-and-half. Cover and cook on HIGH 20 more minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Ladle into bowls, and serve with desired toppings.