- Parchment paper
- 3 large lemons
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup very cold butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk*
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (10-oz.) jar lemon curd
- Powdered sugar
- Garnishes: fresh rosemary sprigs, lemon slices
Total: 2 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- 2. Grate zest from lemons to equal 1 Tbsp. Cut lemons in half; squeeze juice from lemons into a bowl to equal 5 Tbsp. Reserve zest and 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- 3. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in bowl of a food processor; pulse 3 to 4 times or until blended. Add butter; pulse 6 to 7 times or until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup flour mixture.
- 4. Transfer remaining flour mixture to bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Add baking powder and baking soda; beat at low speed until well blended. Add buttermilk, egg, and 1/4 cup lemon juice; beat at medium speed 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until batter is thoroughly blended, stopping to scrape bowl as needed. Stir in rosemary. Spoon half of batter into prepared pan.
- 5. Whisk lemon curd in a small bowl about 1 minute or until loosened and smooth; carefully spread over batter in pan. Top with remaining half of batter.
- 6. Stir together reserved lemon zest, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, and 1 cup flour mixture; sprinkle lemon zest mixture over batter in pan.
- 7. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 8. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Gently run a sharp knife around edge of cake to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool cake completely on wire rack (about 1 hour). Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
- *Greek yogurt may be substituted.
A 9-inch round cake pan may be substituted for springform pan. Line bottom and sides of cake pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; grease foil well. Proceed with recipe as directed through Step 7. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Lift cake from pan, using foil sides as handles. Carefully remove foil. Cool and dust with powdered sugar as directed.Southern Living