Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
Chicken noodle soup is probably the top comfort food of all time. You'll need to start a day ahead to prepare the tasty homemade broth. A serving of this soup provides about 200 micrograms of vitamin A, just shy of one-third of the RDA.
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups chopped carrot
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Coarsely cracked black pepper (optional)
- 1. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Place chicken in a large Dutch oven. Add 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped celery stalks, and next 5 ingredients (through bay leaves) to pan. Add 6 cups water; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
- 2. Remove chicken from pan; place chicken in a bowl. Chill 15 minutes. Discard skin; remove chicken from bones, discarding bones. Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces; cover and chill. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Cool broth mixture to room temperature. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours. Skim fat from surface; discard.
- 3. Add enough water to broth to equal 9 cups; place broth mixture in a large Dutch oven. Add 1 1/3 cups carrot, 1 1/4 cups onion, 1 cup celery, and salt to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add reserved chicken, and simmer 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Keep warm.
- 4. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add pasta to pan with chicken and broth mixture; stir in parsley, rind, and juice. Garnish each serving with lemon wedges and cracked black pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 235
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 21.3g
- Carbohydrate: 24.6g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 679mg
- Calcium: 39mg