- 1 (6-oz.) ready-made shortbread piecrust
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Garnishes: whipped cream, fresh raspberries
Other: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush piecrust with beaten egg white. Bake 6 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Beat 4 egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- 3. Whisk together 4 egg yolks, sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl until blended. Stir in lemon juice. Fold in egg whites. Pour mixture into cooled piecrust, and place pie on a baking sheet.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until set, shielding edges with aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Remove from oven to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour). Garnish, if desired.
For testing purposes only, we used Keebler Ready Crust Shortbread piecrust.Dr. William Woodward, Jr., Annapolis, Maryland, Southern Living