1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Place 16 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups. Set aside.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon cake flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Sift together flour and 3/4 cup powdered sugar into a medium bowl; repeat procedure twice.
4. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt with a mixer at high speed until frothy. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in after each addition. Fold in vanilla and rind. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
5. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
6. To prepare frosting, beat butter with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating at low speed just until blended. Add milk and lemon juice; beat until spreading consistency. Spread 2 tablespoons lemon frosting over each cupcake. Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.
Young Chefs can:
Place liners in muffin cups
Help sift flour mixture
Older Chefs can:
Add sugar slowly to egg whites
Spread frosting over each cupcake