Photo: Jennifer Causey
You'll have plenty of smoky romesco sauce--enough for a generous dollop on top. Cook your eggs to whatever doneness you prefer, but we like ours with a soft boil and partially runny yolk. This dish combines hearty grains, crunchy greens, and a strong source of protein for a well balanced, flavorful meal.
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Arrange pita wedges on a baking sheet. Broil 1 minute on each side or until toasted. Break into pieces.
3. Place pita, peppers, almonds, 2 tablespoons oil, juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and paprika in a food processor; process until smooth. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition until sauce reaches desired consistency.
4. Bring stock and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and white parts of green onions.
5. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 8 minutes or until mushrooms brown. Add kale to pan in batches, stirring until wilted. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
6. Bring a medium saucepan filled with water to a boil. Carefully add eggs to pan; boil 6 minutes. Remove eggs from pan; place in ice water to cool. Peel and halve eggs.
7. Spoon about 3/4 cup quinoa mixture into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with about 1/2 cup mushroom mixture, 1/4 cup sauce, and 2 egg halves. Sprinkle with green parts of green onions.