Nuts, coconut, lime, and rum give this quick bread a tropical and indulgent feel. It’s an unforgettable recipe with the tangy lime glaze balancing the sweet bread. Give it a try. Don’t let the long ingredient list fool you; many are repeated ingredients that are mixed in the bread and then used to top the bread with a glaze that puts drizzled powdered sugar and milk to shame.
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons tub light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 1/4 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons dark rum or 1/8 teaspoon imitation rum extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. Place 2 tablespoons softened butter and cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add egg; beat well.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon 9 ounces flour (about 2 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; stir with a whisk. Combine banana and next 5 ingredients (through vanilla); stir well. Add flour mixture and banana mixture alternately to butter mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup coconut.
- 3. Pour batter into prepared pan; bake at 375° for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool slightly on a wire rack.
- 4. Combine brown sugar and 2 teaspoons each butter, lime juice, and rum in a saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 minute; stir constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons each pecans and coconut; spoon over loaf.
This recipe was updated for the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.Cooking Light
- Calories: 195
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 33.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 155mg
- Calcium: 57mg