1. In a bowl, stir together granulated sugar, flour, salt, dates, and pecans.
2. Beat eggs to blend, then add to sugar mixture and stir until well mixed.
3. Spread cookie dough level in an oiled 8- or 9-inch square pan.
4. Bake in a 350° oven just until very light brown on top, 16 to 18 minutes.
5. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Cut into 36 squares. With a wide spatula, remove squares from pan; roll each into a ball, then coat with powdered sugar.
6. Serve, or store airtight up to 1 day. Freeze to store longer.
Nutritional analysis per cookie.