- 6 (1.5-ounce) frozen ciabatta rolls with rosemary and olive oil
- 8 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 6 large basil leaves
- 6 tablespoons lower-sodium marinara sauce
Total: 29 Minutes
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Bake rolls according to package directions. Split rolls.
- 3. Remove casings from sausage. Combine sausage, chopped basil, and next 5 ingredients (through ground sirloin) in a medium bowl. Divide beef mixture into 6 equal portions with moist hands, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Press thumb in center of each patty, leaving a nickel-sized indentation.
- 4. Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes. Turn patties over; grill 2 minutes. Sprinkle cheese evenly over patties, and grill 6 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
- 5. Place 1 basil leaf on bottom half of each roll; top each with 1 patty, 1 tablespoon marinara sauce, and roll top.
This updated version of Italian Meatball Burgers is based on a recipe that originally ran in Cooking Light, August 2007. The recipe was retested and updated for Cooking Light Crave!, Oxmoor House, 2013.Bruce Weinstein, Cooking Light
- Calories: 375
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 28.1g
- Carbohydrate: 32.7g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Iron: 4.5mg
- Sodium: 894mg
- Calcium: 130mg