- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for cookie sheets
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly, finely grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly, finely ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 1 1/2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded on the fine side of a box grater (to yield 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream or milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Put a dab of butter in each corner of 2 large baking sheets and line with parchment.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, brown sugar, egg, sour cream, and 1/4 tsp. vanilla; stir in dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until well combined. Add carrots and coconut, stirring until just combined.
- 3. Drop 1-tbsp. circles of batter onto baking sheets about 1 in. apart. Bake until cooked through and browned slightly, 14 to 18 minutes. Cool on baking sheets.
- 4. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat cream cheese until very soft. Add butter and beat until smooth and well blended. Add powdered sugar a third at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Beat in cream and remaining 1/2 tsp. vanilla.
- 5. Flip cakes over and spread about 1 1/2 tbsp. frosting on half of them. Top each with a remaining cake, flat side down, to sandwich the frosting.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cake.
The recipe easily adapts to make a small batch of cupcakes (about 7): Pour batter into lined, 1/2-cup muffin tins and bake at 350° for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in tins 5 minutes, then turn onto a rack. Frost the cupcakes once they're completely cooled.Sunset
- Calories: 248
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 2.6g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Cholesterol: 41mg