See, kids do love spinach! One reader's family missed their favorite restaurant appetizer so much that she was inspired to make this cheesy spinach roll. Spread spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, and garlic onto refrigerated pizza crust dough, roll, bake, and serve with warm marinara. Yum!
- 1 tube (10 oz., for 12-in. crust) refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 carton (8 oz.; 1 cup) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (8 oz.; 1 cup) marinara sauce
- 1. On a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet, unroll pizza crust dough.
- 2. Squeeze excess moisture from spinach. Mix spinach, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and garlic.
- 3. Spread mixture evenly over dough.
- 4. Starting at a long edge of dough, roll to enclose filling. Set the loaf, seam down, on baking sheet. Brush loaf top with olive oil.
- 5. Bake in a 425° oven until well browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, stir marinara sauce in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart pan over medium heat until hot; or heat in a microwave-safe bowl in a microwave oven at full power (100%) until hot.
- 6. Slice loaf diagonally, making 10 equal portions. Offer 1 slice as an appetizer serving, or 2 slices as a main-dish sandwich. Spoon marinara sauce over slices to taste.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per slice.
- Calories: 158
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 7.9g
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 533mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg