A lively, colorful dish for a warm weeknight. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: Grill the steak at least 30 minutes and up to a day ahead (cover and chill). Dressing ingredients can also be blended up to a day ahead and chilled (stir well before using). Find salted fermented black beans in Asian markets.
- 1 flank steak (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 lbs.)
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup rinsed and drained salted fermented black beans (see Notes)
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch blended smoothly with 2 tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- About 15 large leaves romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions, including tops
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1. Trim fat from steak. Rinse meat, pat dry, and rub with 1 tbsp. soy sauce and the oil.
- 2. Lay steak on an oiled cooking grate over a solid bed of very hot coals or highest gas heat (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above grate for only 1 to 2 seconds); cover gas grill. Cook until firm when pressed on thin end but still quite pink inside (cut to check), 8 to 10 minutes; turn over halfway through. Transfer steak to a plate. Let cool at least 30 minutes.
- 3. On a board with a sharp knife, cut steak across the grain, straight up and down, into very thin slices, keeping slices in place. Cut steak lengthwise to divide the slices into halves or quarters.
- 4. Combine 4 tbsp. soy sauce, broth, black beans, sherry, ginger, vinegar, cornstarch mixture, and brown sugar. In a large frying pan, stir dressing over high heat until boiling. Add steak and juices; stir until hot, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 5. Put peanuts in a resealable plastic bag and coarsely crush with a meat mallet or bottom of a small, heavy skillet. Stack lettuce leaves and cut thinly widthwise.
- 6. Mound lettuce equally into 6 wide salad or soup bowls. Spoon hot steak and dressing onto greens; sprinkle with bell pepper, green onions, and peanuts. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
- Calories: 296
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 1404mg
- Cholesterol: 45mg