Why invest in a tablescape when you can adorn your table with a show-stopping cake instead? This beauty starts with cake mix and store-bought icing, then adds rich homemade flavor in the fruit-and-nut filling. Besides, haven't you always wanted to make a bow out of candy?
- Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes. Pour into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round or square cakepans.
- Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Nutty Fruit Filling between layers. Set aside.
- Beat frosting mix and 1/2 cup boiling water at low speed 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl; beat at high speed 5 to 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Spread frosting on top and sides of cake. Arrange Holly Leaves around top of cake to resemble a wreath. Arrange candies for berries and place Candy Bow on wreath. Place fruit candies between leaves, if desired. Sprinkle cake with sugar crystals.