Photo: Neil Dacosta
This rich and hearty pizza is inspired by Tastebud, a food stand at the Portland farmers' market. They use a mobile wood-burning oven to make the most creative pizza slices in the region. A leggy cousin of broccoli, the delicate purple florets and thin stems of purple sprouting broccoli make an ideal topping for grilled pizza.
Serves 4 (serving size: 2 wedges)
1. Preheat grill to high heat.
2. Remove dough from refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature, covered, for 30 minutes.
3. While dough rests, combine olive oil, broccoli, and garlic in a medium bowl; toss to coat. Coat grill rack with cooking spray. Arrange broccoli on grill rack; grill 6 minutes or until lightly charred, turning occasionally. Remove broccoli from grill; cut into 1-inch pieces. Place broccoli, vinegar, and pepper in a bowl; toss to coat. Set aside.
4. Sprinkle cornmeal on a baking sheet. Roll dough into a 12-inch oval on a lightly floured surface. Coat grill rack with cooking spray. Place dough on grill rack; grill 2 minutes on each side. Place dough on prepared baking sheet.
5. Reduce grill temperature to medium. Top dough evenly with broccoli mixture and cheese, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle evenly with thyme and bacon. Place pizza on grill rack; cover and cook 6 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is lightly browned. Cut into 8 wedges.