Photo: Ava Brackett; Styling: Nissa Quanstrom
- 1 pound small firm-ripe red-purple plums such as Santa Rosa, halved and pitted
- 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds*
- About 2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 4 pork loin rib chops (also called center-cut chops; 1 1/4 lbs. total)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1. Chop half the plums. Put halved and chopped plums, the chile, and green onions in a deep medium bowl; set aside. Microwave vinegar and 2 tbsp. sugar until steaming, about 30 seconds, then stir until sugar dissolves. Put ginger, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaf, crushed coriander, and 1 tsp. each salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- 2. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a small frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add ginger mixture and cook, stirring, until mustard seeds start to pop, 15 to 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir until cumin seeds are a shade darker, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vinegar-sugar mixture. Stir into plum mixture and let chutney stand at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat a grill to medium (350° to 450°). Combine remaining 1 tsp. each salt and pepper, the ground coriander, and lemon zest in a bowl. About 20 minutes before serving, rub pork chops with remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. oil, then with coriander mixture. Taste chutney and add more sugar if you like.
- 4. Grill meat covered, turning over once, until barely pink in center, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Stir cilantro into chutney. Set pork chops on plates and spoon chutney and juices on top.
- *Crush seeds with a mortar and pestle, or seal in a plastic bag and hit with a rolling pin.
- Calories: 457
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 828mg
- Cholesterol: 82mg