Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
- 1 portion Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 14 ounces)
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound hot Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons New York-Style Pizza Sauce, divided
- 113/ cup (about 5 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Remove Homemade Pizza Dough from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- 2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Coat onion slices and bell pepper pieces with cooking spray. Place vegetables and sausages on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill vegetables 4 minutes on each side or until browned; grill sausages 8 minutes or until done, turning occasionally to brown on all sides. Remove vegetables and sausages from grill; cool slightly. Cut onion slices in half; cut bell pepper pieces into 1/2-inch strips. Cut sausages diagonally into thin slices.
- 4. Preheat oven to 500°
- 5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface; divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 9 x 5-inch rectangle. Spread 1/4 cup New York-Style Pizza Sauce evenly over each rectangle, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Arrange sausage evenly over half of each rectangle; top evenly with onion and bell peppers. Sprinkle each calzone with 1/3 cup cheese. Fold other half of dough over filling; press edges together with a fork to seal.
- 6. Place calzones on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat calzones with cooking spray. Bake at 500° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut each calzone in half; serve with remaining New York-Style Pizza Sauce.
- Calories: 398
- Fat: 13.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 21.5g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 759mg
- Calcium: 186mg