Be the first to rate it
- 6 unripe (green) tomatoes (8 oz. each)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes (red, yellow, golden, green, or a combination; see notes)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper (such as bell or Gypsy)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh green or purple basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 to 2 teaspoons chopped fresh hot chile such as jalapeño or habanero
- 1. Rinse unripe tomatoes. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, discarding stem ends and bottoms. In a large bowl, gently mix tomato slices, olive oil, half the garlic, and the marjoram. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse and core the ripe tomatoes; cut in half crosswise. Squeeze tomato halves slightly to remove seeds. Chop tomatoes and put in a bowl. Add the remaining garlic and the onion, red pepper, basil, lime juice, and chile. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Lift unripe tomatoes from marinade and lay on an oiled grill over a solid bed of medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 4 to 5 seconds); cover gas grill. Cook, turning once, until tomatoes are nicely browned, 6 to 10 minutes total. Arrange on a platter and spoon the ripe-tomato salsa over the top.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
- Calories: 161
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 3.3g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sodium: 31mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg