Tony Christie, Sean Laurenz
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 slices
- 1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- Black pepper
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil. Divide mozzarella, tomato, and basil among 4 eggplant slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; top with remaining 4 eggplant slices.
- 2. Place eggplant sandwiches and lemon halves on greased grill rack. Grill over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and eggplant is cooked through. Serve immediately with grilled lemon halves.