Romaine brushed with olive oil-anchovy paste and grilled, then topped with curls of cheese, takes Caesar salad to a whole new level. Little Gem, a type of miniature romaine lettuce, is perfect for this recipe, but hearts of regular romaine work too.
- 3 canned anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 2 to 2 1/2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 whole small Little Gem lettuce heads or 4 hearts of romaine
- 2 ounces manchego cheese, shaved into thin curls with a vegetable peeler
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1. Heat a grill to medium-high (450°). With the flat side of a knife, mash the anchovies to a paste. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, anchovy paste, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Keeping leaves attached to cores, cut lettuce heads in half lengthwise. Brush all over with 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp. anchovy dressing.
- 3. Grill lettuces, covered, turning once, until they are softened and streaked brown, about 8 minutes.
- 4. Place lettuces cut side up on a platter. Drizzle remaining dressing over lettuces and top with manchego. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Calories: 149
- Calories from fat: 79%
- Protein: 6.2g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 5.2g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 206mg
- Cholesterol: 17mg