The Great Plains Burger delivers deep corn essence in two ways—one is right in the patty with corn chips crumbled into bison meat, and the second is with a sweet, creamy fresh-corn mayo that brightens up the whole burger.
- 1 ear shucked corn
- 1 small red onion, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 ounces corn chips (such as Fritos)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground bison
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) onion rolls, toasted
Total: 27 Minutes
- 1. Preheat grill to high heat.
- 2. Place corn and onion on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 9 minutes or until charred, turning corn occasionally and turning onion once. Cut kernels from ears of corn. Combine corn, mayonnaise, mustard seeds, vinegar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor; process until smooth.
- 3. Combine onion and adobo sauce.
- 4. Place chips in a food processor; pulse 15 times or until coarsely chopped. Combine chips, 1/4 teaspoon salt, sage, garlic powder, pepper, and bison; mix well. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized indentation in center of each patty. Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes. Carefully turn patties; grill 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- 5. Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun. Spread 1 tablespoon corn mixture over each patty. Top with onion mixture and top halves of buns.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Robin Bashinsky, Cooking Light
- Calories: 420
- Fat: 17.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 29.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Sodium: 684mg
- Calcium: 110mg