Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Buffy Hargett Miller
Letting bakery pizza dough rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes makes it easier to knead.
Makes 10 servings
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Trim beet stems to 1 inch; gently wash beets, and place in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Add 1/3 cup water, and cover with aluminum foil.
2. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until tender. Uncover and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, remove pizza dough from refrigerator, and let stand 30 minutes.
4. Increase oven temperature to 425°. Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface, and roll into a 17- x 13-inch rectangle (about 1/4 inch thick). Place dough rectangle on a lightly greased (with cooking spray) baking sheet.
5. Brush dough with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 425° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cut cooled beets into thin slices. Top crust with beet slices, goat cheese, grapefruit segments, sliced mint, and toasted pine nuts, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Drizzle flatbread with honey, and sprinkle with sea salt.