- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin or chuck (10% fat; see notes)
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices (2 in. by 1 in. and 1/4 in. thick) cheddar cheese
- 1 red onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 Kaiser, onion, or crusty round rolls (4 in. wide), split
- Sweet-and-Spicy Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce (4 oz.)
- 1 firm-ripe tomato (about 8 oz.), cored and thinly sliced
1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 1. In a bowl, gently mix ground beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 2. Divide meat mixture into eight equal portions and shape each into a 4-inch round. Top each of four rounds with 2 slices of cheese. Lay another patty on top of each and press edges together to seal.
- 3. Lay burgers and onion slices on an oiled barbecue grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook burgers, turning once, until browned on both sides and done to your liking (cut to test), about 7 minutes total for medium-rare. Cook onions, also turning once, until browned on both sides, 7 to 8 minutes total. Remove from grill.
- 4. Lay buns, cut side down, on grill and cook until lightly toasted, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- 5. Spread Sweet-and-Spicy Sauce on bun bottoms. Add lettuce, tomato, burger, onion, and Guacamole. Set bun tops in place. Serve with remaining Guacamole, sauce, and salt and pepper to add to taste.
- Calories: 589
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 47g
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 856mg
- Cholesterol: 133mg