Be the first to rate it
Photo: Jim Franco; Styling: Rebecca Donnelly
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey or molasses
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Royal Icing or prepared frosting
- Candy decorations and sprinkles (optional)
Chill: 1 Hour
Bake: 8 Minutes
- 1. Beat first 2 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixture until fluffy. Beat in honey and egg.
- 2. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until blended.
- 3. Shape dough into 2 flat disks. Cover with plastic wrap; chill at least 1 hour or until firm.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Line several large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick aluminum foil. Roll out dough, 1 section at a time, to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut out gingerbread shapes with cookie cutters. Re-roll trimmed-off dough to make additional cookies. Place 1 inch apart on prepared sheets.
- 5. Bake cookies, in batches, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 6. Decorate cookies with Royal Icing or prepared frosting in a tube, and candy and sprinkles, if desired. Let icing harden at least 1 hour.