1. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in honey and egg.
2. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until blended. (For colorful pieces, drop in a bit of food coloring.)
3. Shape dough into 2 flat disks. Cover with plastic wrap; chill at least 1 hour or until firm.
4. Preheat over to 350°. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a nonstick foil or parchment-lined baking sheet (flip it over and roll on the back if yours has a rim). Place template on dough. Trim around design, then pull away excess.
5. Bake 10 to 15 minutes until cookies are completely crisp and edges begin to brown. It’s okay if the edges brown a little more than you would like for a regular cookie, because you can frost the over-brown edges and top with candy.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough and templates.