- 2 (14.5-oz.) packages gingerbread cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups stout beer, at room temperature, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- Garnishes: toasted pecans, rosemary sprigs
Bake: 35 Minutes
Cool: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 1. Stir together gingerbread cake mix, eggs, and 2 1/2 cups stout beer in a large bowl until combined. Pour batter evenly into 2 lightly greased 8-inch square pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool on wire rack 1 hour or until completely cool.
- 3. Beat softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar and remaining 1/4 cup stout beer, beating until blended after each addition. Beat 1 minute or until light and fluffy.
- 4. Spread stout buttercream between layers and on top of cake. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake & Cookie Mix. We used Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout at one testing and Guinness Extra Stout beer at another.