Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1. Slice the beef crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, each about 2 inches long. Cut the florets off the broccoli; peel and slice the stalks. Cut the pepper into thin strips.
2. Combine the broccoli and the pepper strips in a bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, mix the beef broth, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch. When the cornstarch is dissolved, set sauce aside.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok or heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the beef strips and stir-fry until brown, about 2 minutes. Remove the beef to a plate, using a slotted spoon. Add the remaining beef, cook for 2 minutes, until brown, then remove to plate with a slotted spoon.
4. Carefully wipe out the hot pan with a paper towel. Heat the remaining oil over high heat. Add the broccoli and the pepper strips to the wok, cover, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Stir the broth mixture and pour it into the wok, then add the beef and any juices from the plate.
5. Simmer over low heat, stirring, for a minute or two, just until the sauce thickens. Transfer to a serving platter.
How kids can help: Measure and stir together sauce ingredients.
TIP: It's easier to slice the beef if it's partially frozen, so freeze it for about an hour before preparing your stir-fry.