- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream 1 cup granulated sugar with butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and molasses.
- 2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and spices. Add to butter mixture and blend well.
- 3. Fill a shallow bowl with granulated sugar. Break off walnut-size pieces of dough and roll into balls; roll balls in sugar. Arrange on greased cookie sheets and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to cooling racks.
- 4. Meanwhile, make glaze: Combine powdered sugar with 1 tbsp. water and stir until smooth, then stir in lemon juice. Drizzle glaze over cookies.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
- Calories: 102
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 0.8g
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 98mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg